Eurasian Journal of Analytical Chemistry
Volume 12, Issue 4 (July 2017), pp. 365-383
Downloaded 115 times.
Published online on Jan 04, 2017
How to reference this article?
Determination of Albendazole in the Presence of its Alkaline Degradation Product Using TLC-Densitometric and Chemometric Methods: A Comparative Study
Khalid Abdel-Salam Attia, Ahmad Abdel-Halim Mohamad, & Mohamed Saleh Emara
Four simple, specific, accurate and precise methods have been used for the determination of albendazole (ALB) in the presence of its alkaline degradation product. Method A is a densitometric one, after separation on silica gel plate using dichloromethane: methanol (90:10 v/v) as a mobile phase and the spots were scanned at 232 nm. Beer’s law was obeyed over the concentration range of 1–5 μg/spot. Methods B, C and D, chemometric-assisted methods, including classical least squares (CLS), principal component regression (PCR) and partial least squares (PLS), albendazole was analyzed with mean accuracy of 99.94±0.159, 99.93±0.159 and 99.93±0.158 for CLS, PCR and PLS, respectively. A comparative study between the methods was done showing the advantages and the disadvantages of each method. These methods are suitable as stability indicating methods for the simultaneous determination of albendazole in the presence of its alkaline degradation product either in bulk powder or in pharmaceutical formulations.
Keywords: albendazole, TLC-densitometry, CLS, PCR, PLS
- Jaime, N. D., & William, A. R. (1988). Textbook of organic medicinal and pharmaceutical chemistry. 10th Edition. Philadephia, PA: Lippincolt Paven Publishers.
- Rang, H. B., Dale, M. M., & Rither, J. M. (1999). Pharmacology. 4th Edition. Churchill Livingstone.
- Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission, Indian Pharmacopoeia, vol. 1. (2007). National Institute of Science Communication and Information Resources (NISCAIR), New Delhi, India.
- British Pharmacopoeia Commission, British Pharmacopoeia, vol. 1. (2008). The Stationary Office. London, England.
- The United States Pharmacopeial Convention, United State Pharmacopoeia, vol. 2. (2007). Baltimore, MD: Port City Press.
- Esimone, C. O., Omeje, E. O., Okoye, F. B. C., Obonga, W. O., & Onah, B. U. (2008). Evidence for the spectroscopic determination of artesunate in dosage for. J. Vector Borne Dis., 45, 281-286.
- Waldia, A., Gupta, S., & Issarani, R. (2008). Validated liquid chromatographic method for simultaneous estimation of albendazole and ivermectin in tablet dosage form. Indian J. Chem. Tech., 15, 617-620.
- The European Agency for the Evaluation of Medical/Products, ICH Topic Q2BNote for Guideline on Validation of Analytical Procedures: Methodology GPMP/ICH/ 281/95. (1996).
- Bolton, S. (1997). In Pharmaceutical Statistics: Practical and clinical application, 3rd ed. New York, NY: Marcel Dekker.
- Miller, J. C., & Miller, J. N. (1984). In Statistics for analytical chemistry, 2nd ed., New York, NY: Wiley.
- Mandal, S. C., Bhattacharya, M., Maity, A. K., Gupta, B. K., & Ghosal, S. K. (1992). Determination of albendazole in tablet formulations by UV spectrophotometric method. Indian Drugs, 29, 323.
- Refat, M. S., Mohamed, G. G., & Fathi, A. (2011). Spectrophotometric determination of albendazole drug in tablets: spectroscopic characterization of the chargetransfer solid complexes. Chin. J. Chem., 29, 324-332.
- Basavaiah, K., Tharpa, K., Prasad, N. R., Hiriyanna, S. G., &Vinay, K. B. (2009). Simple, sensitive and rapid spectrophotometric determination of albendazole based on redox and complex formation using N-bromosuccinimide. Proc Indian Natn. Sci. Acad., 75, 1-6.
- Kamel, M. S., Barsoum, B. N., & Sayed, R. (2008). Spectrophotometric microdetermination of anthelmentic drug in pure form and pharmaceutical formulation by ion-pair complexation. J. Appl. Sci. Res., 4, 1242-1248.
- Oswal, A., Kondawar, M., Phase, S., Nazarkar, S., Nikam, M., & Narkhede, H. (2010). Validated UV spectrophotometric method for estimation of albendazole in tablet dosage form. J. Pharm. Res., 3, 1355-1357.
- Grinberg, N. (1990). Modern thin layer chromatography. New York, NY: Marcel Dekker Inc.
- Patel, R. B., Shankar, M. B., Patel, M. R., & Bhatt, K. K. (2008). Simultaneous estimation of acetylsalicylic acid and clopidogrel bisulfate in pure powder and tablet formulations by high-performance column liquid chromatography and high-performance thin-layer chromatography. J. AOAC Int., 91, 750–755.
- Patel, R. B., Patel, A. B., Patel, M. R., Shankar, M. B., & Bhatt, K. K. (2009). Estimation of alprazolam and sertraline in pure powder and tablet formulations by high performance liquid chromatography and high-performance thin-layer chromatography. Anal. Lett., 42, 1588–1602.
- Patel, R. B., Patel, M. B., Bhatt, K. K., & Patel, B. O. (2010). HPTLC method development and validation: Quantification of paliperidone in formulations and in vitro release study. Anal. Meth., 2, 525-531.
- Patel, R. B., Patel, M. R., Bhari, K. K., & Patel, B. O. (2010). Development and validation of an HPTLC method for determination of olanzapine in formulations. J. AOAC, Int. 93, 811–819.
- Patel, M. R., Patel, R. B., Parikh, J. R., & Patel, M. R. (2010). HPTLC method for estimation of tazarotene in topical gel formulations and in vitro study. Anal Meth,. 2, 275–281.
- Patel, V. A., Patel, P. G., Chaudhary, B. G., Rajgor, N. B., & Rathi, S. G. (2010). Development and validation of HPTLC method for the simultaneous estimation of telmisartan and ramipril in combined dosage form. Int. J. Pharm. Biomed. Res., 1, 18–24.
- Priyamvada, S., Srinivas, B., & Pratima, M. (2010). Qualitative high performancethin layer chromatography (HPTLC) analysis of cannabinoids in urine samples of Cannabis abusers. Indian J. Med. Res., 132, 201–208.
- Zissis, K. D., Brereton, R. G., & Escott, R. (1998). Partial least-squares calibration of two-way diode-array high-performance liquid chromatograms: influence of calibration design, noise and peak separation. Analyst., 123, 165-1173.
- Swamy, N., Basavaiah, K., Penmatsa, V. K., Vinay, K. B., & Prashanth, K. N. (2013). Rapid quantitative assay of albendazole in bulk drug and pharmaceuticals by UHPLC. Chem. Sci., CSJ-113.
- Martens, H., & Naes, T. (1989). Multivariate calibration: A user-friendly guide to multivariate calibration and classification. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons.
- Haaland, D. M., & Thomas, E. V. (1988). Partial least-squares methods for spectral analysis. 1. Relation to other quantitative calibration methods and the extraction of qualitative information. Anal. Chem., 60, 1193-1202.
- Lahane, S. B., & Deokate, U. A. (2014). Development and validated UV spectrophotometric method for estimation of albendazole in tablet dosage form. WJPR, 3, 1461-1467.
- Armitage, P., & Berry, G. (1994). Statistical Methods in Medical Research, 3rd ed. Oxford, UK: Lackwell.
- International Conference on Harmonization of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use (ICH), Guidelines Q2 (R1). (2005). Validation of analytical procedure, Text and methodology, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Validation of chromatographic methods, Reviewer guidance, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER). (1994).
Attia, K. A., Mohamad, A. A., & Emara, M. S. (2017). Determination of Albendazole in the Presence of its Alkaline Degradation Product Using TLC-Densitometric and Chemometric Methods: A Comparative Study. Eurasian Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 12(4), 365-383.
Attia, Khalid A., Ahmad A. Mohamad, and Mohamed S. Emara. "Determination of Albendazole in the Presence of its Alkaline Degradation Product Using TLC-Densitometric and Chemometric Methods: A Comparative Study" Eurasian Journal of Analytical Chemistry 12.4 (2017): 365-383.
ATTIA, Khalid A.; MOHAMAD, Ahmad A.; EMARA, Mohamed S. Determination of Albendazole in the Presence of its Alkaline Degradation Product Using TLC-Densitometric and Chemometric Methods: A Comparative Study. Eurasian Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 2017, 12.4: 365-383.