Eurasian Journal of Analytical Chemistry
Volume 12, Issue 4 (July 2017), pp. 405-416
Downloaded 122 times.
Published online on Jan 04, 2017
How to reference this article?
Determination of 238PU and 239+240PU in Marine Sediment Using Alpha Spectrometry
Noor Fadzilah Yusof, Jalal Sharib, & Nurrul Assyikeen Md. Jaffary
A radiochemical separation method to determine plutonium (Pu) radioisotopes in environmental samples has been established in Radiochemistry and Environmental Laboratory in Malaysia. The analysis involving sample digestion with aqua regia solution and followed by radiochemical separation using ion exchange method. The source for alpha spectrometry was prepared by electrodeposition. The chemical recoveries were determined using 242Pu tracer. The method was tested on reference materials and on real sediments from Malaysia marine environment. The validity of the method was checked for coherence using the t-test, relative error and relative standard deviation. All the results obtained were in good agreement with the reference values which indicated that the recommended procedures was successfully applied for the determination of plutonium activities in Radiochemistry and Environmental Laboratory in Malaysia.
Keywords: plutonium radioisotopes, radiochemical separation, alpha spectrometry, sediment
- Bisinger, T., et al. (2010). Determination of plutonium from different sources in environmental samples using alpha-spectrometry and AMS. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, 268(7–8), 1269-1272.
- Yamamoto, M., et al. (2014). Isotopic Pu, Am and Cm signatures in environmental samples contaminated by the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant accident. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, 132, 31-46.
- Association, W. N. Fukushima. (2016). Radiation Exposure.
- Sin, H. S., Sarmani, S., Siong, K. K. (2014). Radiological Impact Assessment of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Accident on Malaysian Marine Biotas via Ocean partway using Erica Code System. Sains Malaysiana, 43(10), 1565-1571.
- Online, T. S. (2015). Malaysia Eyes Nuclear Power Use by 2030. In The Star Online.
- Gray, J., Jones, S. R., & Smith, A. D. (1995). Discharges to the environment from the Sellafield site, 1951-1992. Journal of Radiological Protection, 15(2).
- Qiao, J., et al. (2009). Determination of plutonium isotopes in waters and environmental solids: A review. Analytica Chimica Acta, 652(1–2), 66-84.
- Hrnecek, E., Steier, P., & Wallner, A. (2005). Determination of plutonium in environmental samples by AMS and alpha spectrometry. Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 63(5–6), 633-638.
- Nassef, M. H., et al. (2008). Determination of Plutonium Isotopes in Standard IAEA Reference Materials by Destructive Analytical Technique. Journal of Nuclear and Radiation Physics, 3(1), 21-30.
- Solatie, D. (2002). Development and Comparison of Analytical Methods for the Determination of Uranium and Plutonium in Spent Fuel and Environmental Samples, in Department of Chemistry, University of Helsinki: Finland.
- Plutonium. (2005). In Human Health Fact Sheet, A. N. Laboratory, Editor.
- Seferinoğlu, M., et al. (2014). Determination of plutonium isotopes in bilberry using liquid scintillation spectrometry and alpha-particle spectrometry. Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 87(0), 81-86.
- Sharib, J., et al. (2005). Activities Concentration of 239+240Pu in Sediment in Sabah and Sarawak Coastal Area.
- Figueira, R. C. L., et al. (2006). Distribution of 137Cs, 238Pu and 239 + 240Pu in Sediments of the Southeastern Brazilian Shelf–SW Atlantic Margin. Science of The Total Environment, 357(1–3), 146-159.
- Currie, L. A. (1968). Limits for Qualitative Detection and Quantitative Determination. Application to Radiochemistry. Anal. Chem., 40, 586-93.
- Laboratoire National Henri Becquerel, L. (December 2016). Retrieved from http://www.nucleide.org/DDEP_WG/DDEPdata.htm
- Ahmad, Z., et al. (2007). Laporan Projek Pembangunan Data Asas Keradioaktifan Marin di Malaysia, J. IV, Editor. Agensi Nuklear Malaysia.
- Ahmad, Z., et al. (2010). Spatial Distributions of 137Cs and 239+240Pu in Surface Seawater within the Exclusive Economic Zone of East Coast Peninsular Malaysia. Applied Radiation and Isotopes, 68, 1839-1845.
- Wo, Y. M., et al. (2010). Inventories of Natural and Anthropogenic Radioactivities within Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of East Coast Peninsular Malaysia.
- Mahmood, Z. U. W., et al. (2010). Behaviour and Distribution of 239+240Pu and 241Am in the East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia Marine Environment. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry.
- Wo, Y. M., Shahar, H., Ahmad, Z. (2009). 241Am Levels in Surface Sediments from East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia. Jurnal Sains Nuklear Malaysia, 21(2).
- Bakar, A. S. A., et al. (2010). Distribution of 239+240Pu in Surface Sediment around Sabah's Sulu-Sulawesi Sea.
- Duran, E. B., et al. (2004). 137Cs and 239+240Pu Levels in the Asia-Pacific Regional Seas. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity, 76(1–2), 139-160.
Yusof, N. F., Sharib, J., & Jaffary, N. A. M. (2017). Determination of 238PU and 239+240PU in Marine Sediment Using Alpha Spectrometry. Eurasian Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 12(4), 405-416.
Yusof, Noor F., Jalal Sharib, and Nurrul A. M. Jaffary. "Determination of 238PU and 239+240PU in Marine Sediment Using Alpha Spectrometry" Eurasian Journal of Analytical Chemistry 12.4 (2017): 405-416.
YUSOF, Noor F.; SHARIB, Jalal; JAFFARY, Nurrul A. M. Determination of 238PU and 239+240PU in Marine Sediment Using Alpha Spectrometry. Eurasian Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 2017, 12.4: 405-416.