Eurasian Journal of Analytical Chemistry
Volume 12, Issue 5 (September 2017), pp. 469-480
Downloaded 132 times.
Published online on Jan 05, 2017
How to reference this article?
A Study for the Evaluation of Quantitative Reaction Conditions Between As(V) and Ti(III) for the DP Polarographic Determination of Electroinactive As(V) and Application
Güler Somer, Olcay Şendil, Güler Ekmekci, & Tuba Sarıgül
In this investigation a differential pulse polarographic method (DPP) is established to determine the electroinactive arsenic (V), which is formed after the wet digestion of the natural samples. For this purpose, As(V) formed is reduced into As(III) using Ti(III). According to the literature survey this redox reaction between As(V) and Ti(III) has been used first time in this work. In order to have the reaction quantitative the optimum reaction conditions such as Ti(III)/ As(V) concentration ratio, reaction pH, waiting time for reaction and temperature had to be investigated. It was found that Ti(III)/ As(V) concentration ratio had to be larger than 3-5 times, HCl concentration 0.4 to 1.0 M, reaction temperature 60 - 90 ºC and waiting interval 3-5 minutes. Under the experimentally decided conditions the reduction was very fast and quantitative. No interference was observed from most common ions. The LOD was found as 1.5×10-7 M. The newly developed method is applied for the determination of arsenic in beer. The reduction procedure takes place directly in polarographic cell. This newly developed method can safely be used for the speciation of As(III) and As(V) and for total arsenic quantity determination in natural samples.
Keywords: speciation, beer, arsenic (III and V), Ti(III) reductant, DP polarography
- Ng, J. C., Wang, J. P., & Sharim, A. (2003). A global health problem caused by arsenic from natural sources. Chemosphere, 52, 1353.
- Herce-Pagliai, C., Moreno, I., Gonzales, G., Repetto, M., & Camean, A. M. (2002). Determination of total arsenic, inorganic and organic arsenic species in wine. Food Addit. Contam, 19, 542.
- Caldas, N. M., Raposo, J. L., Gomes, J. A., & Barbosa, F. (2009), Effect of modifiers for As, Cu and Pb determinations in sugar-cane spirits by GFAAS. Food Chem, 113, 1266.
- Pacey, G. E., & Ford, J. A. (1981). Arsenic Speciation By Ion-Exchange Separation and Graphite-Furnace Atomic-Absorption Spectrophotometry. Talanta, 28, 935.
- Shah, A. Q., Kazi, T. G., Arain, M. B., Jamali, M. K., Afridi, H. I., Jalbani, N., Kandhro, G. A., Baig, J. A., Sarfraz, R. A., & Ansari, R. (2009), Comparison of electrothermal and hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometry for the determination of total arsenic in broiler chicken. Food Chem, 113, 1351.
- Li, X., Jia, J., & Wang, Z. H. (2006). Speciation of inorganic arsenic by electrochemical hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometry. Anal. Chim. Acta, 560,153.
- Talebi, S. M., & Habib-ollahi, S. (2007) .Determination of inorganic arsenic species in natural waters by flow injection hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometry. Asian J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. Environ. Sci., 9, 27.
- Yamamoto, M., Urata, K., Murashige, K., & Yamamoto, Y. (1981). Differential determination of arsenic(III) and arsenic(V), and antimony(III) and antimony(V) by hydride generation atomic-absorption spectrophotometry, and its application to the determination of these species in sea-water. Spectrochim. Acta, Part B, At. Spectrosc, 36, 671.
- Karthikeyan, S., Rao, T. P., & Iyer, C. S. P. (1999). Determination of arsenic in sea water by sorbent extraction with hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometry. Talanta, 49, 523.
- Rodriguez, I. B., Raber, G., & Goessler, W. (2009). Arsenic speciation in fish sauce samples determined by HPLC coupled to inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. Food Chem, 112, 1084.
- Gong, Z., Lu, X., Ma, M., Watt, C., & Le, X. C. (2002). Arsenic speciation analysis. Talanta, 58, 77.
- Narukawa, T., Inagaki, K., Kuroiwa, T., & Chiba, K. (2008). The extraction and speciation of arsenic in rice flour by HPLC–ICP-MS. Talanta, 77, 427.
- Raab, A., Hansen, H. R., Zhuang, L., & Feldmann, J. (2002). Arsenic accumulation and speciation analysis in wool from sheep exposed to arsenosugars. Talanta, 58, 67.
- Suzuki, K. T., Mandal, B. K., & Ogra, Y. (2002). Speciation of arsenic in body fluids. Talanta, 58,111.
- Sanz, J., Gallarta, F., & Galban, J. (1991). Simultaneous determination of inorganic arsenic(III) and arsenic(V) by arsine generation and gas-phase molecular absorption spectrometry. Anal. Chim. Acta, 255, 113.
- Jitmanee, K., Oshima, M., & Motomizu, S. (2005). Speciation of arsenic(III) and arsenic(V) by inductively coupled plasma-atomic emission spectrometry coupled with preconcentration system. Talanta, 66, 29.
- Jiajie, L., & Nagaosa, Y. (2007). Cathodic stripping voltammetric determination of As(III) with in situ plated bismuth-film electrode using the catalytic hydrogen wave. Anal. Chim. Acta, 593, 1.
- Ferreira, M. A., & Barros, A.A. (2002). Determination of As(III) and arsenic(V) in natural waters by cathodic stripping voltammetry at a hanging mercury drop electrode. Anal. Chim. Acta, 459, 151.
- Kowalska, J., Chalko, K., & Stryjewska, E. (2002). Speciation of arsenic(V) and arsenic(III) in soil extracts by cathodic stripping voltammetry. Electroanalysis 14, 1508.
- Locatelli, C., & Torsi, G. (2000). Determination of Se, As, Cu, Pb, Cd, Zn and Mn by anodic and cathodic stripping voltammetry in marine environmental matrices in the presence of reciprocal interference. Proposal of a new analytical procedure. Microchem. J, 65, 293.
- Billing, C., Groot, D. R., & van Staden, J. F. (2002). Determination of arsenic in gold samples using matrix exchange differential pulse stripping voltammetry. Anal. Chim. Acta, 453, 201.
- Carvalho, L. M., Nascimento, P. C., Bohrer, D., Raquel, S., Pilau, E. J., & Rosa, M. B. (2008). Redox speciation of inorganic arsenic in water and saline samples by adsorptive cathodic stripping voltammetry in the presence of sodium diethyl dithiocarbamate. Electroanalysis 20, 776.
- Kopanica, M., & Novotny, L. (1998). Determination of traces of arsenic(III) by anodic stripping voltammetry in solutions, natural waters and biological material. Anal. Chim. Acta, 368, 211.
- Almas, Z., & Somer, G. (2006). Differential pulse polarographic determination of trace quantities of arsenic using catalytic hydrogen wave and its application. J. Electroanal. Chem., 593, 179.
- Ünal, Ü., & Somer, G. (2011). A new and simple procedure for the polarographic speciation and determination of trace inorganic As(III) and As(V) species. Turkish J. Chem., 35, 779.
- Somer, G., & Kalaycı, Ş. (2014). A new and sensitive method for the determination of trace arsenic using differential pulse polarography. Can. J Chem, 92, 221.
Somer, G., Şendil, O., Ekmekci, G., & Sarıgül, T. (2017). A Study for the Evaluation of Quantitative Reaction Conditions Between As(V) and Ti(III) for the DP Polarographic Determination of Electroinactive As(V) and Application. Eurasian Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 12(5), 469-480.
Somer, Güler, et al. "A Study for the Evaluation of Quantitative Reaction Conditions Between As(V) and Ti(III) for the DP Polarographic Determination of Electroinactive As(V) and Application" Eurasian Journal of Analytical Chemistry 12.5 (2017): 469-480.
SOMER, Güler, et al. A Study for the Evaluation of Quantitative Reaction Conditions Between As(V) and Ti(III) for the DP Polarographic Determination of Electroinactive As(V) and Application. Eurasian Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 2017, 12.5: 469-480.