EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education
Volume 3, Issue 3 (August 2007), pp. 213-220
Downloaded 1447 times.
Published online on Jul 12, 2016
How to reference this article?
Analysis of new Zambian High School Physics Syllabus and Practical Examinations for Levels of Inquiry and Inquiry Skills
Frackson Mumba, Vivien Mweene Chabalengula and Kevin Wise
The purpose of this study was to analyze the new Zambian high school physics syllabus and practical examinations for levels of inquiry and inquiry skills. Several inquiry skills are explicitly emphasized in the introduction, aims, content objectives and assessment sections in the national high school physics syllabus. However, the syllabus is less explicit on levels of inquiry. The syllabus has no suggested inquiry activities and guidelines for inquiry-based teaching. As such, teachers are expected to create inquiry activities for their physics lessons to address the content and inquiry skills outlined in the syllabus. The experiments in the practical examinations were restricted to structured and confirmation/verification inquiry levels. The inquiry skills emphasized in the practical examinations were the same as those outlined in the physics syllabus. Implications for science teaching, learning, and curriculum design have been stated. Keywords: High School, Inquiry, Physics, Practical Examinations, Syllabus
- American Association for the Advancement of Science [AAAS]. (1989) Science for all Americans. Project 2061. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Chiappetta, E. L., Sethna, G. H. & Fillman, D. A. (1991). A quantitative analysis of high school chemistry textbooks for scientific literacy themes and expository learning aids, Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 28(10), 939-951.
- Cohen, J. (1960). A coefficient of nominal scales. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 20(1), 37-46.
- Curriculum Development Center [CDC]. (2000). High school Physics Syllabus: Lusaka, Zambia.
- Eltinge, E. M. & Roberts, C. W. (1993). Linguistic content analysis: A method to measure science as inquiry in textbooks. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 30(1), 65- 83.
- Friedler, Y. & Tamir, P. (1986) Teaching basic concepts of scientific research to high school students. Journal of Biological Education, 20(4), 263-269.
- Germann, P. J., Haskins, S., & Auls, S. (1996). Analysis of nine high school biology laboratory manuals: Promoting scientific inquiry. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 33(5), 475-499.
- Lunetta, V. N., & Tamir, P. (1980). An analysis of laboratory activities: Project physics and PSS, School Science and Mathematics, 80,635-642.
- Ministry of Education (1996). National Policy of Education [NPE]. Lusaka: Zambia).
- Okebukola, P. A. (1988). An assessment of the structure and skill level of the tasks in the Nigerian integrated science project. Journal of Research in Curriculum, 6, 1-6.
- Pizzini, E. L., Shepardson, D. P. & Abell, S. K. (1991). The inquiry level of junior high activities: Implications to science teaching. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 28(2), 111-121.
- Soyibo, K. (1998). An Assessment of Caribbean integrated science textbooks’ practical tasks. Research in Science and Technology Education, 16(1), 31-41.
- Staer, H., Goodrum, D., & Hackling, M. (1998). High school laboratory work in Western Australia: Openness to inquiry. Research in Science Education, 28(2), 219-228.
- Tafoya, E., Sunal, D. W., & Knecht, P. (1980). Assessing inquiry potential: A tool for curriculum decision makers. School Science & Mathematics, 80, 43-48.
- Tamir, P. (1985). Content analysis focusing on inquiry. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 17(1), 87-94.
- Tamir, P. & Luneta, V.N. (1981). Inquiry-related tasks in high school science laboratory handbooks. Science Education, 65, 477-484.
- Staver, J. R. & Bay, M. (1987). Analysis of the project synthesis goal cluster orientation and inquiry emphasis of elementary science textbooks. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 24(7), 629-643.
- Woolnough, B. & Allsop, T. (1985). Practical work in science. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- National Research Council [NRC]. (1996). National science education standards. Washington, DC: National Academic Press.
Mumba, F., & Wise, V. M. C. a. K. (2007). Analysis of new Zambian High School Physics Syllabus and Practical Examinations for Levels of Inquiry and Inquiry Skills. EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 3(3), 213-220.
Mumba, Frackson, and Vivien M. C. a. K. Wise. "Analysis of new Zambian High School Physics Syllabus and Practical Examinations for Levels of Inquiry and Inquiry Skills" EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education 3.3 (2007): 213-220.
MUMBA, Frackson; WISE, Vivien M. C. a. K. Analysis of new Zambian High School Physics Syllabus and Practical Examinations for Levels of Inquiry and Inquiry Skills. EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 2007, 3.3: 213-220.