EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education
Volume 12, Issue 1 (January 2016), pp. 57-86
Downloaded 1669 times.
Published online on Jul 01, 2016
How to reference this article?
A Comparison of Different Teaching Designs of ‘Acids and Bases’ Subject
Neslihan Ültay & Muammer Çalik
Inability to link the acid-base concepts withdaily life phenomena (as contexts) highlights the need for further research onthe context-based acid-base chemistry. In this vein, the aim of this study isto investigate the effects of different teaching designs (REACT strategy, 5Eslearning model and traditional (existing) instruction) relevant with ‘acids andbases’ subject on pre-service science teachers’ conceptions and attitudestowards chemistry and to compare them with each other. Within quasi-experimentalresearch design, the sample comprised of 95 pre-service science teachers fromFaculty of Education in Giresun University, Turkey. Three intact groups wererandomly assigned as either experimental and control groups. To gather data,Acid-Base Chemistry Concept Test (ABCCT), Chemistry Attitudes and ExperiencesQuestionnaire (CAEQ) and semi-structuredinterviews were used. Theresults denote that REACT strategy is effective in helping the pre-servicescience teachers retain their gained conceptions in long-term memory whilst 5Eslearning model is efficient in achieving conceptual learning. Finally, futurestudies should test the effects of REACT strategy and 5Es learning model ondifferent variables (i.e. sample, subject, scientific process skills, scientificinquiry) over a longer period of time (i.e. one semester or one-year).
Keywords: acids and bases, REACTStrategy, 5Es learning model, contextual learning, constructivism
- Abraham, M. R., Gryzybowski, E. B., Renner, J. W., & Marek, A. E.(1992). Understanding and misunderstanding of eighth graders of five chemistryconcepts found in textbooks. Journal ofResearch in Science Teaching, 29,105-120.
- Banerjee, A. C. (1991). Misconceptions of students and teachers inchemical equilibrium. InternationalJournal of Science Education, 13(4), 487-494.
- Barker, V., & Millar, R. (1999). Students’ reasoning aboutchemical reactions: What changes occur during a context-based post-16 chemistrycourse? International Journal of ScienceEducation, 21(6), 645-665.
- Barker, V., & Millar, R. (2000). Students’ reasoning about basicchemical thermodynamics and chemical bonding: What changes occur during acontext-based post-16 chemistry course? InternationalJournal of Science Education, 22(11),1171- 1200.
- Bennett, J., & Lubben, F. (2006). Context-based chemistry: Thesalters approach. International Journalof Science Education,28(9),999-1015.
- Berns, R. G., & Erickson, P. M. (2001). Contextual teaching andlearning: Preparing students for the new economy. The Highlight Zone Research Work, 5, 1-8.
- Bilgin, İ. & Yahşi, D. (2006). Farklı laboratuvar yaklaşımlarınınilköğretim 8.sınıf öğrencilerinin asit-baz konularındaki kavramlarıanlamalarına etkisinin incelenmesi (Investigating the effects of variouslaboratory approaches on grade 8 students’ conceptions of acid-baseconcepts). Paper presented at Seventh National Science and MathematicsEducation Congress, Gazi University, September 7-9, Ankara (In Turkish).
- Bodner, G.M. (1990). Why good teaching fails andhard-working students don’t always succeed. Spectrum,28(1), 27-32.
- Botton, C. (1995). Collaborative concept mapping and formativeassessment key stage 3: Understandings of acids and bases. School Science Review, 77,124-130.
- Bozkurt, O., Aydın, H., Yaman, S., Uşak, M., & Gezer, K. (2005).Sixth, seventh and eighth year students’ knowledge levels about greenhouseeffect, ozone layer and acid rain. MediterraneanJournal of Educational Sciences, 10(2),81-95.
- Bradley, J. D., & Mosimege, M. D. (1998). Alternative conceptionsin acids and bases: A comparative study of student teachers with differentchemistry backgrounds. South AfricanJournal of Chemistry, 51,137-147.
- Bulte, A. M. W., Westbroek, H. B., de Jong, O., & Pilot, A.(2006). A research approach to designing chemistry education using authenticpractices as contexts. InternationalJournal of Science Education, 28(9),1063-1086.
- Burhan, Y. (2008). Asit ve baz kavramlarına yönelik karikatür destekli çalışmayapraklarının geliştirilmesi ve uygulanması (Developing worksheets enriched by concept cartoons concerning theacid-base concepts). Unpublished Master Thesis, Karadeniz TechnicalUniversity, Trabzon, Turkey (In Turkish).
- Bybee, R. W. (2003). Why theseven E’s. http://www.miamisci.org/ph/lpintro7e.html
- Bybee, R. W., Taylor, J. A., Gardner, A., van Scotter, P., Powell, J.C., Westbrook, A., & Landes, N. (2006). TheBSCS 5E instructional model: Origins and effectiveness. A Report Preparedfor the Office of the Science Education National Institutes of Healthhttp://science.education.nih.gov/houseofreps.nsf/b82d55fa138783c2852572c9004f5566/$FILE/Appendix%20D.pdf
- Carr, M. (1984). Model confusion in chemistry. Research in Science Education, 14,97-103.
- Cho, J. (2002). The development of an alternative in-serviceprogramme for Korean science teachers with an emphasis onscience-technology-society. InternationalJournal of Science Education, 24(10),1021-1035.
- Cleghorn, A., Shumba, O. & Peacock, A. (2002). Educationstudents’ views towards science for children: Canada, Zimbabwe, Englandcomparisons. World Studies in Education,3(2), 103-118.
- Cobern, W.W. (1996). Worldview theory and conceptual change inscience education. Science Education,80(5), 579-610.
- CORD, (1999). Teaching sciencecontextually. CORD Communications, Inc., Waco, Texas, USA.
- Cokelez, A. & Dumon, A. (2009). Acomparative study of French and Turkish students’ ideas on acid-base. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 1,536-537.
- Crawford, M. L. (2001). Teachingcontextually: Research, rationale, and techniques for improving studentmotivation and achievement in mathematics and science. CCI Publishing,Waco, Texas, USA.
- Creswell, J. W. (2003). Researchdesign: Qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods, approaches (2ndEd.). Sage Publications, United States of America.
- Çalık, M. (2013). Effect of technology-embedded scientific inquiry on senior sciencestudent teachers’ academic self-efficacy.Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science & Technology Education, 9(3), 223-232.
- Çalık, M. & Ayas, A. (2005). A comparison of level of understanding of grade8 students and science student teachers related to selected chemistry concepts.Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 42(6), 638-667
- Çalık, M. & Aytar, A. (2013). Investigating prospective primary teachers’ pedagogical contentknowledge of “effect of human on environment” subject in the process ofteaching practice. Kuram ve Uygulamada Eğitim Bilimleri, 13(3), 1579-1605
- Çalik, M. & Coll, R.K. (2012). Investigating socioscientific issues via scientific habits of mind:Development and validation of the scientific habits of mind survey (SHOMS). International Journal of Science Education, 34(12), 1909-1930.
- Çalık, M. (2005).A cross-age study of different perspectives in solution chemistry fromjunior to senior high school. International Journal of Science andMathematics Education, 3, 671–696
- Çalik, M., Özsevgeç, T., Ebenezer, J.,Artun, H. & Küçük, Z. (2014). Effects of 'environmentalchemistry' elective course via technology embedded scientific ınquiry model onsome variables. Journal of ScienceEducation and Technology, 23(3), 412-430.
- Çalık, M., Turan, B. & Coll, R.K. (2014). A cross-age study ofelementary student teachers' scientific habits of mind concerningsocioscientific issues. InternationalJournal of Science and Mathematics Education, 12(6), 1315-1340
- Çalik, M., Ebenezer, J., Özsevgeç, T., Küçük, Z. & Artun, H.(2015). Improving science student teachers' self-perceptions of fluency withinnovative technologies and scientific inquiry abilities. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 24(4), 448-460. doi: 10.1007/s10956-014-9529-1
- Çalık, M., Ültay, N., Kolomuç, A. & Aytar,A. (2015). A cross-age studyof science student teachers' chemistry attitudes. Chemistry Education: Research and Practice, 16(2), 228-236 doi: 10.1039/c4rp00133h
- Çetingul, P. I., & Geban, O. (2005). Understanding acid-baseconcept by using conceptual change approach. Hacettepe University Journal of Education, 29, 69-74.
- Dalgety, J., Coll, R. K., & Jones, A. (2003). Development ofchemistry attitudes and experiences questioannaire (CAEQ). Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 40(7), 649-668.
- Demircioğlu, G. (2003). Lise II asitler ve bazlar ünitesi ile ilgili rehber materyalgeliştirilmesi ve uygulanması (Developing and implementing teacher guidematerials related to the unit “acids and bases” at lycee-II). Unpubslihed PhD Thesis,Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey (In Turkish).
- Demircioğlu, H., Demircioğlu, G., & Çalık,M. (2009). Investigating effectivenessof storylines embedded within context based approach: A case for the periodictable. Chemistry Education Research and Practice, 10(3), 241-249.
- Demircioğlu, H., Dinç, M. & Çalık, M. (2013). The effect of storylines embedded within context-basedlearning approach on grade 6 students’understanding of ‘physical and chemical change’ concepts. Journal of Baltic Science Education, 12(5), 682-691.
- Demircioğlu, G., Özmen, H. & Ayas, A.(2004). Asit ve baz kavramları üzerine bir araştırma çerçevesinde kimyadakarşılaşılan kavram yanılgıları (A research on misconceptions of acid-baseconcepts). Kuram ve Uygulamada EğitimBilimleri, 4(1), 57-80 (In Turkish).
- Demircioğlu, H., Vural, S., & Demircioğlu, G. (2012). The effect of a teaching material developedbased on “REACT” strategy on gifted students’ achievement. Journal of Ondokuz Mayıs University Faculty of Education, 31(2), 101-144 (In Turkish).
- Drechsler, M., & Driel, V. J. (2008). Experienced teachers’pedagogical content knowledge of teaching acid-base chemistry. Research in Science Education, 38(5), 611-631.
- Driel, V. J. H. (2005). The conceptions of chemistry teachers aboutteaching and learning in the context of a curriculum innovation.International Journal of Science Education,27(3), 303-322.
- Driver, R. (1981). Pupils’ alternative frameworks in science. European Journal of Science Education, 3, 93-101.
- Eisenkraft, A. (2003). Expanding the 5E model. The Science Teacher, September,56-59.
- Ekmekçioğlu, E. (2007). Ortaöğretim kimya dersinde asit baz konusunun anlamlı öğrenme kuramı vekavram haritası ile öğretiminin başarıya etkisi (The effect of meaningfullearning theory and teaching with concept map to achievement of acid-base topicin chemistry lessons at high schools). Unpublished Master Thesis, SelçukUniversity, Konya, Turkey (In Turkish).
- Er Nas, S., Coruhlu, T. S. & Cepni, S. (2010). An assessment onthe effectiveness of the material developed for the elaborate stage of the 5Emodel. Journal of Ondokuz MayısUniversity Faculty of Education, 29(1),17-36 (In Turkish).
- Erduran, S. (2003). Examining the mismatchbetween pupil and teacher knowledge in acid-base chemistry. School Science Review, 84(308), 81-87.
- Feng, S. L., & Tuan, H. L. (2005). Using ARCS model to promote 11thgraders’ motivation and achievement in learning about acids and bases. International Journal of Science andMathematics Education, 3(3),463-484.
- Furió-Más, C., Calatayud, M. L., Jenaro Guisasola, J., &Furió-Gómez, C. (2005). How are the concepts and theories of acid–basereactions presented? Chemistry in textbooks and as presented by teachers. International Journal of Science Education,27(11), 1337-1358.
- Garnett, P. J., & Tobin, K. (1988). Teaching for understanding:Exemplary practices in high school chemistry. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 26, 1-14.
- Geban, Ö., Ertepınar, H., Yılmaz, G., Altan, A. & Tahpaz, F.(1994). Bilgisayar destekli eğitiminöğrencilerin fen başarılarına ve fen bilgisi ilgilerine etkisi (Effects ofcomputer aided instruction on students’ science achievement and intereststowards science). Paper presented at First National Symposium of ScienceEducation, Dokuz Eylul University, İzmir, Turkey (In Turkish).
- Geban, Ö., Taşdelen, U. & Kırbulut, Z. D.(2006). Kavramsal değişim yaklaşımadayalı ortak grup çalışmalarının asit-baz kavramlarını anlamaya etkisi. (The effect of cooperative group works basedon conceptual change approach on understanding of acid-base concepts). Paper presented at Seventh National Scienceand Mathematics Education Congress, Gazi University, September 7-9, Ankara (InTurkish).
- Gerber, B. L., Cavallo, A. M. L., & Marek, E. A. (2001).Relationship among informal learning environments, teaching procedures, andscientific reasoning abilities. International Journal of Science Education,23(5), 535-549.
- Gilbert, J. K. (2006). On the nature of “context” in chemicaleducation. International Journal ofScience Education, 28(9),957-976.
- Gilbert, J. K., Osborne, J. R. ve Fensham, P. J. (1982). Children’sScience and Its Consequences for Teaching. ScienceEducation, 66(4), 623-633.
- Glynn, S. M., & T. R. Koballa, Jr. (2005). The contextual teaching and learning instructional approach, exemplaryscience: Best practices in professional development. In R. E. Yager (ed.)(pp 75-84). NSTA press, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Gokcek, N. (2007). İlköğretim8. sınıf öğrencilerininasit baz konusundaki başarılarına çoklu zeka kuramının etkisinin araştırılması(The effect of the multiple intelligences theory ongrade-8 students` achievement in the topic of acid and base) (Unpublished master thesis). GaziUniversity, Ankara, Turkey (In Turkish).
- Graber, W., Erdmann, T., & Schlieker, V. (2002). ParCIS: Partnership between chemicalindustry and schools. Paperpresented at the 2nd International IPN – YSEG Symposium, Kiel, Germany.
- Guzzetti, B. J., Williams, W. O., Skeels,S. A., & Wu, S. M. (1997). Influence of text structure on learningcounterintuitive physics concepts. Journal of Research inScience Teaching, 34(7), 701-719.
- Hair, J. F. Jr., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., Anderson, R. E., &Tatham, R. L. (2006). Multivariate dataanalysis (6th ed.). Prentice-Hall International, New Jersey,USA.
- Hand, B. (1989). Student understandings ofacids and bases: a two year study. Research in Science Education, 19(1),133-144.
- Hazer, B. (1995). Genel kimya (Generalchemistry) (Third Edition). Karadeniz Teknik Üniversitesi Basımevi,Trabzon, Turkey (In Turkish).
- Hofstein, A., & Kesner, M. (2006). Industrial chemistry andschool chemistry: Making chemistry studies more relevant.International Journal of Science Education, 28(9), 1017-1039.
- Kala, N., Yaman, F., & Ayas, A. (2013). The effectiveness ofpredict–observe–explain technique in probing students’ understanding aboutacid–base chemistry: A case for the concepts of pH, pOH, and strength. International Journal of Science andMathematics Education, 11,555-574.
- Karslı, F. & Çalık, M. (2012). Can freshman science student teachers’ alternativeconceptions of ‘electrochemical cells’ be fully diminished? Asian Journal of Chemistry, 24(2), 485-491.
- Kılavuz, Y. (2005). The effectsof 5E learning cycle model based on constructivist theory on tenth gradestudents’ understanding of acid-base concepts (Unpublished master thesis).Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- King, D. (2012). New perspectives on context-based chemistryeducation: Using a dialectical sociocultural approach to view teaching andlearning. Studies in Science Education,48(1), 51-87.
- Kıyıcı, G. & Yumuşak, A. (2005). Fen bilgisilaboratuarı dersinde bilgisayar destekli etkinliklerin öğrenci kazanımlarıüzerine etkisi: Asit-baz kavramları ve titrasyon konusu örneği (The effects ofcomputer assisted activity at science laboratory lesson on student's acquiry;example of acid – base concept's and titration topic). The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 4(4), 130-134(In Turkish).
- Kolomuç, A. & Çalık, M. (2012). A comparison of chemistryteachers’ and grade 11 students’ alternative conceptions of ‘rate of reaction’,Journal of Baltic Science Education, 11(4), 333-346.
- Kurnaz, M. A., & Çalık, M. (2008). Usingdifferent conceptual change methods embedded within 5E model: A sample teachingfor heat and temperature. Journal ofPhysics Teacher Education Online, 5(1),3-10.
- Lakatos, I. (1970). Falsificationand the methodology of scientific research programmes. Cited by: Lakatos,I. ve Musgrave, A. (Eds.), Criticism and the growth of knowledge. CambridgeUniversity Press, Cambridge, UK.
- Marks, R., Bertram, S., & Eilks, I. (2008). Learning chemistryand beyond with a lesson plan onpotato crisps, which follows a socio-criticaland problem-oriented approach to chemistry lessons – a case study. Chemistry Education Research and Practice,9, 267-276.
- Merriam, S.B. (1988). Casestudy research in education. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, USA.
- Morgil, İ., Yavuz, S., Oskay, Ö. Ö. & Arda,S. (2005). Traditional and computer-assisted learning in teaching acids andbases. Chemistry Education Research andPractice, 6(1), 52-63.
- Nakhleh M. B., & Krajcik J. S. (1994). Influence of levels ofinformation as presented by different technologies on students understanding ofacid, base, and pH concepts. Journal ofResearch in Science Teaching, 31(10),1077-1096.
- Novak, D. J. (1988). Learning science and the science of learning. Studies in Science Education, 15(1), 77-101.
- Outertatani, L., Dumon, A., Trabelsi, M. A.& Soudani, M. (2007). Acids and bases: The appropriation of the Arrheniusmodel by Tunisian grade 10 students. InternationalJournal of Science and Mathematics Education, 5, 483-506.
- Oversby, J. (2000). Is it a weak acid or a weakly acidic solution? School Science Review, 81(297), 89-91.
- Özmen, H. (2003). Kimya öğretmen adaylarinin asit ve bazkavramlariyla ilgili bilgilerini günlük olaylarla ilişkilendirebilme düzeyleri(Chemistry student teachers’ levels of linking their knowledge with daily lifeabout acid and base concepts). Journal ofKastamonu Faculty of Education, 11(2),317-324 (In Turkish).
- Özmen, H., Demircioğlu, G., Burhan, Y.,Naseriazar, A. & Demircioğlu, H. (2012). Using laboratory activitiesenhanced with concept cartoons to support progression in students’understanding of acid-base concepts. Asia-PacificForum on Science Learning and Teaching, 13(1), Article 8.
- Özmen, H., Demircioğlu, G., & Coll, R. K. (2009). A comparativestudy of the effects of a concept mapping enhanced laboratory experience onTurkish high school students’ understanding of acid-base chemistry. International Journal of Science andMathematics Education, 7(1),1-24.
- Özmen, H. & Yıldırım, N. (2005). Çalışmayapraklarının öğrenci başarısına etkisi: Asit ve bazlar örneği (The effect ofworksheet on student achievement: A case of acids-bases). Türk Fen Eğitimi Dergisi, 2(2), 124-143 (In Turkish).
- Özsevgeç, T. (2007). İlköğretim 5. sınıf kuvvet ve hareket ünitesineyönelik 5E modeline göre geliştirilen rehber materyallerin etkililiklerininbelirlenmesi (Determiningeffectiveness of guided materials about force and motion unit based on the 5Emodel for elementary students) (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey (In Turkish).
- Pabuccu, A. (2008). Improving11th grade students' understanding of acid-base concepts by using 5E learningcycle model(Unpublished doctoraldissertation). Middle East Technical University, Ankara.
- Parchmann, I., Gräsel, C., Baer, A., Nentwig, P., Demuth, R., Ralled,B., & the ChiK Project Group. (2006). “Chemie im kontext”: A symbioticımplementation of a context-based teaching and learning approach. International Journal of Science Education,28(9), 1041-1062.
- Petrucci, R. H. (1989). Generalchemistry principles and modern applications (Fifth Edition). MacmillanPublishing Company, New Jersey, USA.
- Pfundt, H., & Duit, R. (2000). Bibliography: Student’salternative frameworks and science education (5th ed.). University of Kiel, Kiel, Germany.
- Pinarbasi, T., Sozbilir, M. & Canpolat, N. (2009). Prospective chemistry teachers’misconceptions about colligative properties: boiling point elevation andfreezing point depression. Chemistry Education: Research and Practice,10, 273–280
- Ross, B., & Munby, H. (1991). Concept mapping and misconceptions:A study of high-school students' understandings of acids and bases. International Journal of Science Education,13(1), 11-23.
- Saka, A. Z. (2011). Investigation of student-centered teachingapplications of physics student teachers. EurasianJournal of Physics and Chemistry Education, Special Issue, 51-58.
- Schwartz, A. T. (2006). Contextualized chemistry education: TheAmerican experience. InternationalJournal of Science Education,28(9),977–998.
- Sisovic, D., & Bojovic, S. (2000). Approaching the concepts ofacids and bases by cooperative learning. ChemistryEducation: Research and Practice, 1(2),263-275.
- Souders, J. (1999, July 9). Contextuallybased learning: Fad or proven practice. American Youth Policy Forum,Capitol Hill, Washington DC, USA.
- Stolk, M. J., Bulte, A. M. W., de Jong, O., & Pilot, A. (2009a).Towards a framework for a professional development programme: Empowering teachersfor context-based chemistry education. ChemistryEducation: Research and Practice, 10(2),164-175.
- Stolk, M. J., Bulte, A. M. W., de Jong, O., & Pilot, A. (2009b).Strategies for a professional development programme: Empowering teachers forcontext-based chemistry education. ChemistryEducation: Research and Practice, 10(2),154–163.
- Sunger, M. (2007). An analysısof efficacy beliefs, epistemology beiefs and attitudes towards science inpreservice elementary science teachers and secondary science teachers (Unpublishedmaster thesis). Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Sutman, F., & Bruce, M. (1992). Chemistry in the community –chemcom. Journal of Chemical Education,69(7), 564–567.
- Tamer, P. İ. (2006). Effect of conceptual change texts accompanied with analogies onpromoting conceptual change in acid and base concepts. Unpublished PhD Thesis, Middle East TechnicalUniversity, Ankara.
- Toplis, R. (1998). Ideas about acids andalkalis. School Science Review, 80(291),67-70.
- Üce, M., & Sarıçayır, H. (2002). Üniversite 1. sınıf genel kimyadersinde asit-baz konusunun öğretiminde kavramsal değişim metinleri ve kavramharitalarının kullanılması (Using conceptual changing test and conceptmaps to teach the subject of acid bases in general chemistry course forfreshmen classes). Marmara University Atatürk Faculty ofEducation Journal of Educational Sciences, 16,163-170 (In Turkish).
- Ültay, N., & Çalık, M. (2011a). Asitler vebazlar konusu ile ilgili örnekler üzerinden 5E modelini ve REACT stratejisiniayırt etmek (Distinguishing 5E model from REACT strategy:An example of ‘acids and bases’ topic). Necatibey Faculty of Education Electronic Journal of Science andMathematics Education, 5(2), 199-220 (In Turkish).
- Ültay, N., & Çalık, M. (2011b). Kimya tutum ve deneyimleri anketinintürkçeye uyarlanması (Adaptation ofchemistry attitude and experiences questionnaire into Turkish). Paper presented at Second National ChemistryEducation Symposium, July 5-8,Atatürk University, Erzurum (In Turkish).
- Ültay, N., & Çalık, M. (2012). A thematicreview of studies into the effectiveness of context-based chemistry curricula. Journal of Science Education and Technology,21(6), 686-701.
- Ültay, N., Durukan, Ü.G. & Ültay, E.(2015). Evaluation of theeffectiveness of conceptual change texts in the REACT strategy.Chemistry Education: Research and Practice, 16(1),22-38.
- Wilson, J. M. (1998). Differences in knowledgenetworks about acids and bases of year-12, undergraduate and postgraduatechemistry students. Research in ScienceEducation, 28(4), 429-446.
- Yager R. E., & Weld J. D. (1999). Scope, sequence and co-ordination:The Iowa project, a national reform effort in the USA.International Journal of Science Education, 21(2), 169- 194.
- Yaman, F., Demircioğlu, G. & Ayas, A.(2006). Yapılandırmacı öğrenme kuramınadayalı geliştirilen etkinliklerin öğrencilerin asit ve baz kavramlarınıanlamaları üzerine etkileri (The efffect of activities developed in regard toconstructivist learning theory on students’ conceptions of acid-base concepts).Paper presented at Seventh National Science and Mathematics EducationCongress, Gazi University, September 7-9, Ankara (In Turkish).
- Yıldız, V. G., Yıldırım, A. & İlhan, N.(2006). Üniversite kimya öğrencilerininasitler ve bazlar hakkındaki bilgilerini günlük hayatla ilişkilendirebilmedüzeyleri (Chemistry student teachers’levels of linking their knowledge with daily life about acid and base concepts). Paper presented at Seventh National Scienceand Mathematics Education Congress, Gazi University, September 7-9, Ankara (InTurkish)
- Yin, R.K. (1994). Case studyresearch: Design and methods. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA, USA.
- Zhang, L. (2014). A meta-analysis method toadvance design of technology-based learning tool: Combining qualitative andquantitative research to understand learning in relation to differenttechnology features. Journal of ScienceEducation and Technology, 23(1),145-159.
Ültay, N., & Çalik, M. (2016). A Comparison of Different Teaching Designs of ‘Acids and Bases’ Subject. EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 12(1), 57-86.
Ültay, Neslihan, and Muammer Çalik. "A Comparison of Different Teaching Designs of ‘Acids and Bases’ Subject" EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education 12.1 (2016): 57-86.
ÜLTAY, Neslihan; ÇALIK, Muammer. A Comparison of Different Teaching Designs of ‘Acids and Bases’ Subject. EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 2016, 12.1: 57-86.