EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education
Volume 12, Issue 7 (July 2016) - Special Issue on Past, Present, and Future of Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and Technology Education Research and Practice in South Korea, pp. 1925-1936
Downloaded 1375 times.
Published online on Jul 02, 2016
How to reference this article?
The Development and Application of a STEAM Program Based on Traditional Korean Culture
Hyoungbum Kim & Dong-Hyun Chae
The purpose of this research was to develop a STEAM program in the context of teaching and learning a traditional Korean instrument and implement it in a high school class to determine the program’s effectiveness. The STEAM program was developed through a continuous consultation process between a development team and external experts, including an “artisan of Korean music.” This program was implemented for six weeks in an 11th grade science class, which consisted of twenty-six students. The twenty-six students who participated in this research study engaged in semi-structured interviews to determine how the students became aware of the STEAM program and verify the applicability of the program. The results are as follows: students recognized the meaning and necessity of STEAM education as a problem-solving procedure that resulted in increased STEAM literacy and a development of concepts through sharing opinions. Most students indicated that they would frequently make use of the knowledge they learned in the STEAM program in their science class because it allowed them to have a better understanding of the problem-solving process. Therefore, STEAM programs in science class are apt to contribute to STEAM literacy through the integration of science, technology and art as well as develop creative problem-solving abilities by introducing new ideas.
Keywords: high school, problem solving, STEAM education, traditional Korean instrument
- Baek, Y., Park, H., Kim, Y., Noh, S., Park, J–Y., Lee, J. Han, H. (2011). STEAM education in Korea. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 11(4), 149–171.
- Brown, J. S., Collins, A. S., & Duguid, P. (1989). Situated cognition and the culture of learning. Educational Researcher, 18(1), 32–42.
- Christensen, R., Knezek, G., Tyler-Wood, T., & Gibson, D. (2014). Longitudinal analysis of cognitive constructs fostered by STEM activities for middle school students. Knowledge Management & E-Learning, 6(2), 103–122.
- Jacobs, J. E., Finken, L. L., Griffin, N. L., & Wright, J. D. (1998). The career plans of science-talented rural adolescent girls. American Educational Research Journal, 35(4), 681–704.
- Jeong, J., Kim, H., Chae, D. H., & Kim, E. (2014). The effect of a case-based reasoning instructional model on Korean high school students’ awareness in climate change unit. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science & Technology Education, 10(5), 427–435.
- Kim, H. S. (2012). A study on relation and importance of art education and STEAM education. Journal of Korean Society of Basic Design and Art, 13(5), 105–113.
- Knezek, G., Christensen, R., Tyler-Wood, T., & Periathiruvadi, S. (2013). Impact of environmental power monitoring activities on middle school student perceptions of STEM. Science Education International, 24(1), 98–123.
- Knowles, M. (1975). Self-directed learning: A guide for learners and teachers. New York, NY: The Adult Education Company.
- Kolodner, J. L., Crismond, D., Fasse, B. B., Gray, J. T., Holbrook, J., Ryan, M., & Puntambekar, S. (2003). Problem-based learning meets case-based reasoning in the middle-school science classroom: Putting a learning-by-design curriculum into practice. Journal of Learning Sciences, 12(4), 495–547.
- Korea Foundation for the Advancement of Science and Creativity (KOFAC). (2012). Policy directions of STEAM education: Introductory training of KOFAC STEAM. Seoul, Korea: Foundation for the Advancement of Science and Creativity.
- Lave, L., & Wenger, E. (1991). Situated learning: Legitimate peripheral participation. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Lee, H. (2013). Understanding and application of STEM/STEAM education. Seoul, Korea: Bookshill.
- Lincoln, Y. S., & Guba, E. G. (2000). Paradigmatic controversies, contradictions, and emerging confluences. In N. K. Denzin & Y. S. Lincoln (Eds.), Handbook of qualitative research (2nd ed., pp. 163–188). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Maes, B. (2010). Stop talking about “STEM” education! “TEAMS” is way cooler. Retrieved from http://bertmaes.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/teams/
- Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology (MEST). (2010). The revised 2009 curriculum. Seoul, Korea: Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.
- Mehalik, M. M., Doppelt, Y., & Schunn, C. D. (2008). Middle-school science through design-based learning versus scripted inquiry: Better overall science concept learning and equity gap reduction. Journal of Engineering Education, 97(1), 71–85.
- Strauss, A., & Corbin, J. (1998). Basics of qualitative research: Procedures and techniques for developing grounded theory. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage
- Wheeler, P., & Jones, D. R. (2008). The psychology of case-based reasoning: How information produced from case-matching methods facilitates the use of statistically generated information. Journal of Information Systems,22(1), 1–25.
- Yakman, G., & Lee, H. (2012). Exploring the exemplary STEAM education in the U.S. as a practical educational framework for Korea. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 32(6), 1072–1086.
Kim, H., & Chae, D. (2016). The Development and Application of a STEAM Program Based on Traditional Korean Culture. EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 12(7), 1925-1936.
Kim, Hyoungbum, and Dong-Hyun Chae. "The Development and Application of a STEAM Program Based on Traditional Korean Culture" EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education 12.7 (2016): 1925-1936.
KIM, Hyoungbum; CHAE, Dong-Hyun. The Development and Application of a STEAM Program Based on Traditional Korean Culture. EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 2016, 12.7: 1925-1936.